Thursday, September 2, 2010

My new Thai Favorite

I am probably brealing all kinds of copyright rules, but I must acknowledge the August/September 2010 issue of Taste of Home cooking magazine for my current enthusiasm for trying new dishes lately. So, some of you expressed a desire for the Thai Portobello Chicken Stir-fry recipe that I tried out the other day. MMMMMMmmmmmmmm. . . . . . . . . . . the yumminess lingers in my memory.

I will copy this as exactly as I can so I don't get in to as much copyright trouble.

Thai Portobello Chicken Stir-fry (pg. 72, Aug/Sept 2010 Taste of Home)

submitted by Susan Bazan, Sequim, Washington

Prep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min. Yield: 6 servings

1/2 C Thai peanut sauce
1/2 C teriyaki sauce
1/4 C chunky peanut butter
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
3 C chopped sweet onions
4 celery ribs, sliced diagonally
2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally
1/2 lb. sliced baby portobello mushrooms
4 -1/2 tsp. minced fresh gingerroot
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 C thinly sliced green onions
Hot cooked rice

In a small bowl, combine the peanut sauce, teriyaki sauce, peanut butter, and Worcestershire sauce; set aside.

In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in 1 Tbsp. olive oil and sesame oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.

Stir-fry the sweet onions, celery and carrots in remaining oil for 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, ginger and garlic; stir-fry 4-6 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.

Stir sauce mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve with rice.


My comments on this: If your family is afraid of vegetables, chop them up smaller, or don't add as many. But the flavor of the sauce masks the taste of many of the scarier veggies, like onions and mushrooms. Caleb kept telling me he couldn't taste the mushrooms, so he was okay to eat them. He had no idea there was a bunch of onions in it, too. My mom and I finished off the leftovers a day or two later and she told me to add this recipe to the regular repitoire for my family. Give it a try and let me know what you and yours thinks.

No comments: